Bulga NSW

Gateway to the Hunter Valley since 1820

Bulga is a rural village lying on the western side of the Hunter Valley, NSW, 20 kilometres west of the township of Singleton against the escarpment of the Wollemi National Park. This village on the banks of Cockfighter Creek was originally named “The Bulga” but was later abbreviated to Bulga.

“Bulga” is an aboriginal word meaning ‘big mountain’. Bulga Mountain, an imposing landmark stands behind the village. The village of Bulga comprises 152 homes and approximately 350 residents.

In addition to the residential areas, Bulga is also the regional headquarters for the Rural Fire Service and is the home for the Hunter Valley RFS Helicopter base, National Parks and Wildlife Service offices, has a police station, historic scout hall (the old school), a historic church, recreational grounds with tennis courts, a hotel, a service station and bottle store, community hall, orchards and olive groves, wineries and vineyards and a Horse stud.

The eastern entry into Bulga has the 100 year old historic wooden bridge over Cockfighter Creek.